[EM] Fair Vote Canada postings (FWD)

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 18:48:39 PDT 2000

Two postings from Mr. Billows.  Respond directly to him and not me, please.
---
-------
Announcing Fair Vote Canada!

The push for proportional representation in Canada is underway with today's
launch of Fair Vote Canada. Our aim is to educate the public about electoral
reform and to help organize those Canadians who favour proportional
representation.

Our hope is that Fair Vote Canada (FVC) will attract the necessary support to
pressure the next Parliament into holding a referendum on electoral reform
prior
to or concurrent with the federal election of 2004/05

Fair Vote Canada (FVC) was founded on October 1, 2000, to provide concerned
citizens, community leaders and activists with an organizational framework to
build a nationwide grassroots civic education and electoral reform campaign in
Canada.

Fair Vote Canada will focus in particular on educating Canadians about the
inherent inequities in our current voting system and the strengths and
weaknesses of various alternative systems, such as proportional
representation.

The ultimate objective of Fair Vote Canada is to gain the support of all
federal
political parties for a national referendum on voting systems to be held prior
to or concurrently with the 2004/2005 Federal elections.  Fair Vote Canada
firmly believes that Canadian citizens are ready and willing to learn about
democratic reform and that the voters themselves should be the final
decision-makers on what democratic voting system best meets the needs of our
nation.

For more details, please refer to the Fair Vote Canada website at
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/index.html
----
With the announcement of Fair Vote Canada and the establishment of a new
discussion list, Canada-Votes will be closing on October 31, 2000.

The purpose of the new list will be to continue the networking and discussion
related to building Fair Vote Canada and promoting its goals. The difference
between Canada-Votes and this new list will be greater focus and constructive
discussion.

To join the discussion list send an email to majordomo at fairvotecanada.org with
the commands "subscribe discussion" in the body of the message (the quotes are
for emphasis, you should not include them with the message). Upon joining you
will receive instructions on how to unsubscribe from the list if you so
choose.

You will not be automatically subscribed to the new mailing list so it is up
you to join. You do not need to unsubscribe from Canada-Votes, this will be
done
automatically on October 31.

For more information or clarification, post here or visit our website at
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/index.html

Regards,

Chris Billows for Fair Vote Canada
cpbillows at gatewest.net