[EM] Majority winner set

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Thu Nov 30 14:57:16 PST 2000

Markus wrote (in part):

>I suggest the following definition of sincere voting in Approval Voting:
>
>   A voter votes "sincerely" when he approves all those candidates
>   he prefers to the incumbent and disapproves all those candidates
>   to which he prefers the incumbent.

Ahh.  I was halfway into writing a message against this when I realised that
it's actually quite a good definition.  The incumbent represents a perceived
utility value of zero (no change) while the other candidates are above or
below that value.  I'm assuming that whether or not he votes for the
incumbent does not effect the sincerity of the vote (?).

Does this mean, however, that if the incumbent is no longer running, and the
incumbent is more liked by a voter than any of the candidates (00 pres
election?), then that voter cannot cast a sincere vote?