Let's found an organization to oppose IRV

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 12 21:08:45 PST 2000

Mr. Layton wrote--

>If there is approval voting, there might be--

>H 50

>S 49

>W 99

Mr. Layton wrote-

There also might be:

H 34

S 33

W 32

What voters would do with an approval vote is very difficult, if not

impossible, to predict.  The support is close enough so that both the Hitler

and Stalin voters know that if they approve Washington, Washington will

almost certainly win, but if they only vote for their own candidates, there

is a very good chance that they will win.  I also think that it's fairly

safe to assume that Hitler and Stalin voters will be fairly parochial.

Voting for only your own candidate in such a close race might be the optimal

strategy.
---
D- Which is why I suggest that any winner (for executive and judicial
offices) be required to get a majority of the votes (via a simple YES/NO vote
as step 1; head to head in step 2 (using Number Votes, 1, 2, etc.) and sum
the place votes if no step 2 winner).

If no majority winner, then there is a vacancy to be filled by the indirect
majority rule p.r. legislative body involved.