[EM] Voting methods & utility

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Nov 6 21:01:41 PST 2000

If we're to express any meaningful concept of utility we have to do it on
an individual basis. There's no such thing as aggregate social utility
within the meaning of an assessment of the continuous value of each
outcome. So, for instance, utility has meaning when one talks about
marginal utility when one is talking about a firm's satisfaction, or when
one's talking about what Nash called the "payoff" from an interaction. You
can't sum utilities because they're scale-less and have no basic
comparison. An actor with utilities from three respective outcomes (no
others can occur)-

1,2,3

will have exactly the same response if his utilities are-

-5,-3,-1

When one talks about utility, one's not referring to utilitarianism etc.

PS About Pareto efficiency- I didn't really express myself well. Obviously
that rule before wasn't a declaration of Pareto efficiency, but with the
other rules Pareto efficiency _implies that rule_. Which means if you
replaced that rule with Pareto efficiency, you'd get the same result.