[EM] Letter to Discover Magazine

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Nov 4 01:26:55 PST 2000

I appreciate the comments, and yes, the possibility of using ratings has
been looked at both within this list, and in the published literature
long before this list existed.  In fact, when I was in the process of
"converting" from IRV to Approval Voting supporter, I spent a fair
amount of time looking at rating systems.

Since Mike has already pointed out that the best strategy under a
ratings system makes it the equivalent of approval voting, I won't
rehash that point.

What might also be interesting is to make the case that approval voting
is the equivalent of a ratings system.  Here's how:

Say you are completely on the fence regarding a candidate, and can't
decide whether to vote for or against him.  Why not flip a coin?  This
would isolate your vote from influence by trivial or subliminal factors,
and if other undecided voters do likewise, it would have the same effect
as all of the undecideds giving half of the maximum rating to that
candidate.

Similarly, if you wanted to give a rating of "9" to a candidate, you
could roll a pair of dice and then cast an approval vote for the
candidate if you roll a "1" through "9", and no vote if you roll "10"
(and re-roll if "11" or "12").

Obviously this is not the ideal strategy, and you would be better off
making up your mind regarding each candidate.  Especially since the most
difficult decisions are usually the most important -- the candidate you
are having difficulty with is probably a front-runner who has a better
shot at winning than your favorite.

This borderline-acceptable front-runner really represents your best
opportunity as a voter to influence the outcome of the election -- it
would be a shame to waste that opportunity by giving a half-vote, or by
flipping a coin, or by letting an arbitrary vote-counting mechanism
decide for you.

A better approach to decision making is to spend most of your time
researching this particular candidate.  The rest will be no-brainers,
either for or against.

Bart Ingles