[EM] FWDs on IRV and the Electoral College

Instant Runoff Voting supporter donald at mich.com
Mon Nov 27 05:27:56 PST 2000

From: "Casey Peters" <kcpeters at ix.netcom.com>
To: "IRV Supporters" <donald at mich.com>
Cc: "Instant Runoff Voting" <instantrunoff at egroups.com>,
        "CPR Los Angeles" <proprep at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Do the Math on any Electoral College amendment
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000
   While agreeing with your analysis that the Electoral College will not be
abolished under the United States Constitution, I wish we could replace it
with a French-style two-round direct popular election or with IRV.
   IRV (Instant Runoff Voting)  is an excellent system for electing
executives, such as governors, mayors, etc. It gives each voter
a chance to express their true desire and also a second preference.
If no candidate wins a majority in the count of first preferences,
then the lowest candidates are eliminated and their ballots are
redistributed to each voter's second preference.
   IRV should never be used for legislative offices, as it would
eliminate third parties, most women and minority candidates.
Using the unit rule (whether with States giving all their Electors
to one Presidential candidate, or with Members of Congress
and state legislators being chosen by winner-take-all districts)
wastes the votes of everybody but the plurality supporters.
Instead, all multiple member decision making bodies should be
elected by PR (Proportional Representation).
   IRV is the wrong answer for "reforming the Electoral College".
Since we are not electing an executive (the U.S. President), rather
a decision making body (Electoral College),  what we should do
choose Electors proportionally to the vote in each State.  In the
Y2K election, for instance, Florida would have given 12 Electors
each to Bush and Gore, and one Elector to Ralph Nader.
The Electors themselves could vote by IRV, with a majority of Electoral
Votes required to elect the President.
 -- Casey <proprep at hotmail.com>