[EM] Letter to Discover Magazine

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 04:25:49 PST 2000

Hello, everyone.

This is my first list posting, and I won't be able to post anything more for
a week or so, but I can't delay saying that I really appreciate Bart's
letter and its example's insight into what is wrong with all schemes (or,
for that matter, theoretical discussions and conclusions such as Arrow's)
that look only at qualitative preference - or a la Borda assume a
Mickey-Mouse quantitative preference wherein successive preference rank
differences can be treated as equal (e.g., that for a live voter in a
particular contest, rank 1 exceeds rank 2 by the same amount as rank 2
exceeds rank 3).

Bart's example is intended to make the case for 'approval' - i.e. a voter's
pass-fail grading of all competing options (i.e. candidates or measures).
In fact it makes an even better case for higher-resolution grading, where
there are more grades than just 0 (fail) and 1 (pass). Using today's (or
anyhow next year's) computer, there seems every prospect that elections can
allow voters to use a higher-res grading scale, say the the scholastic
5-grade scale (F=0, D=1, C=2, B=3, A=4) or, better yet, the 0-100 grade
scale.

Such higher-res grading admittedly allows a hitherto seeming no-no: a
two-option contest to be LOST by the option that is preferred
(qualitatively) by the majority.  That is actually quite OK:  the
sufficiently fierce preference of a sufficient minority OUGHT to outweigh
the mild preference of the majority.

Unconstrained high-res grading would seem to combine the best features of
unconstrained crude-res grading (i.e. pass-fail grading - alias 'approval')
and of artificially constrained high-res grading (e.g. ranking schemes).

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA