[EM] More 0-info pairwise strategy

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:17:36 PST 2000

>The important point, which distinguishes margins, is that a vote of A>B
>is just as likely to decrease the largest loss of A as it is to increase
>the
>largest loss of B, unless we know which is already winning.

You're talking about changing the outcome by changing, in a
circular tie, which defeat has a greater margin magnitude. But
there's another way of changing the outcome: You can make or
prevent a pairwise defeat. You & one same-voting person can
reverse a pairwise defeat.

Voting A>B can make B lose its pairing with A, preventing
B from being BeatsAll winner, causing a circular tie which C wins.

If you have a very large-magnitude negative utility for C, and
A & B differ only moderately in utility, then obviously it could
be that, by ranking sincerely instead of voting A=B>C, you could
greatly worsen your utility expectation.

>So, p(C,A)=p(B,C).
>
>As a result, the change in expected utility by voting insincerely is
>negative,
>independent of candidate utilities.

Not so, for the reason stated above.

Mike Ossipoff