ethics of wv vs m

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 17:29:24 PST 2000

Mr. Ossipoff wrote-

So let's have a good reason for which defeat we drop. Let's
minimize the number of people whom we overrule, if we have to
disregard an expressed opinion of the voters.
---
D- Such is the reasoning of the pro-IRV folks (even when there is a Condorcet
Winner with the lowest number of first choice votes--- my earlier
Hitler-Stalin-Washington examples).

Is IRV tolerable when there is no Condorcet Winner (as in the below) ?

     123  45
22 ABC  DE
21 BCD  EA
20 CDE  AB
19 DEA  BC
18 EAB  CD

100

As their first choice-

82 do not want E
81 do not want D
80 do not want C
79 do not want B
78 do not want A

Or, which counts more in producing defeats-- first choice votes or all
relative choices (with sundry truncated votes) (assuming any single winner
choice has majority YES support) ??