extending Myerson's test--more policy positions

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 15:23:58 PST 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> It's sometimes said that, with Approval, if you vote for someone,
> it's to your advantage to vote for everyone whom you like more.
> I make that suggestion whenever I talk about Approval strategy:
> "Vote for the lesser-evil you'd vote for in Plurality, and for
> everyone whom you like more."
----
D- Again-
real choices (all YES acceptable)-
1   2    3   4    5
E > C > A > B > D

simple Approval
E = C = A = B = D

If D is the lesser evil of a given voter, then

D = E = C = A = B

All 5 may get majorities but D may get the highest majority.

Conditional YES
1   2    3   4    5
E   C    A    B   D

The NO majority choices (F, G, etc.) have been removed.  Votes 2 to 5 are
conditional YES. If E fails to get a first choice majority, then the vote for
C is counted.  If E and C fail to get a majority, then the vote for A is
counted.  Etc.  The vote for lesser evil D is counted only if E, C, A, B all
fail to get a majority.