[EM] STV's rejection: it's "not a defect, it's a feature!"

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 16 13:44:05 PST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Bart Ingles wrote:

> This sounds like the block voting method used in most U.S. city
> council-type elections.  I can see how the vote would be split by three
> or more factions contesting for all of the seats (because voters are
> limited to 8 choices), and I can see how running more than 8 candidates
> could cause an individual group to split its vote, but how would
> standing only 5 candidates cause the vote to be split?

There are then 3 "dangly bits" on each vote which contribute to the
election of other candidates. If votes for "dangly bits" edge opposition
candidates over the edge..., and that's the worst case scenario-
more likely the votes head for minor-candidate limbo and
contribute to no-one's election... Also, the "dangly bits" from voters
for an "independent" are not going to uniformly go your
way. With 8 candidates, all your votes are all your votes, plus as soon as a
voter picks you to be the dangly bits to her vote, all the dangly bits
will be your dangly bits...

Running 5 candidates as opposed to 8 candidates is not quite
"splitting" in the same sense as a single-winner FPP system, but it does
have the same effect- it reduces the numbers of winners for a side. Our
current State representative was edged out in the local government
election of 1986 by the above effects. It seems strange to say that the
block vote was the difference between Councillor Hollis and Speaker
Hollis. The one member of the team that year who got elected got in
thanks to the donkey (top-to-bottom) vote, has turned feral, and is now
quite definitely no-one's friend (he's a present councillor and is one of
the 10 "independents"). He's had the tactic of getting into everyone
else's "how-to-vote" directions. That's great for an individual, but more
difficult for a team that wants to make up a majority of the next council.