[EM] What is the Demorep1 'clone' idea?

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Sun Mar 12 19:51:10 PST 2000

At 18:31 12.03.00, DEMOREP1 at aol.com wrote:
 >Prof. Saari wrote (9 Mar 2000)--
 >
 >    In this same spirit, please do not run into the silly mistake
 >(as someone on that web site did) of thinking that I am concerned about
 >adding or subtracting voters.  My approach is equivalent to handling an
Excellent: it seems to me almost a (meta-)rule that rules that talk
  of adding voters without saying anything about the preferences on the
  added papers, are of no value. Wasn't that done in past years by Social
  Decision theorists and they are expected to do better?. No examples.

 >D- I mention again- adding or subtracting votes is commonly called election
 >fraud (aka stuffing the ballot box and/or vote stealing).

This is an instance of humour. Great stuff.

 >Generally speaking it appears that Prof. Saari has [...] the existence of
 >clones with some new [words:] data symmetry, reflection symmetry, rotational
 >symmetry.
 >
 >Anybody yet slog thru the Economic Theory, pp. 1-103 article ???

Reflections is a strange or poorly defined idea: preferences in papers
  can be reflected but what is said about candidates?.

 >I note again-
 >majority > minority
 >and
 >minority < majority
 >(i.e. NO symmetry).

(Why not write "I note, but this time in a way that holds my idea" ?. )

I ask Demorep1 to define as briefly and a mathematically as he can,
  his idea of "clones". I guess it differs from Blake Cretney's,
  although I have not browsed to that website and read the clones part
  recently.
  I wrote to Demorep1 privately quite a while ago asking this question
  on clones and I didn't seem to get a precise response.

I want to know if it is this which P1 would imply:

  If two candidates are considered, say A and B, and if in all papers,
  of these types:

...A...
...B...
..A..B..
..B..A..

there happen to be no papers of the form: (..B..A..), or (...B...),
  then it is not the case that B wins and A loses (any number of
  winners).

Demorep1, please define your "clones" idea with a referring to all
  possible preference lists that could appear. I do not have an idea
  of the definition.

Can the Demorep1 definition be generalised?.