Democratic symmetry (fwd)

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 11:17:07 PST 2000

Mr. Cretney wrote-

40 A B C
60 C A B

Here, A wins in Borda.  C wins in most other methods.
---
D- C happens to have a first choice majority.
----
Mr. Cretney wrote-

 By adding ballots and their reverse (which we might expect to cancel) we get
this.

40 A B C
60 C A B
40 C B A
40 A B C

And, by removing the newly created rotational symmetries we get

20 C A B
40 A B C

Now, A is the clear winner.
--
D- Adding ballots is commonly called ballot box stuffing - a major election
law felony.

Let's take an example where rotational symmetry comes into play:

2 A B C  \
2 B C A   |- rotational symmetry
2 C A B  /
5 C B A
4 B C A

C wins in Borda, because the rotational symmetry is removed.  B is the
Condorcet winner, and also the winner in IRV/AV.
---
D- Removing votes is commonly called vote stealing- yet another major
election law felony.  Also, if C knows/guesses that there are some possible
rotational votes (such as the 2 ABC and 2 BCA votes) then C will tell his/her
voters to engage in rotational symmetry strategy to create such 2 CAB votes
to cancel out such 2 ABC and 2 BCA votes.  What a deal- 2 votes cancel 4
votes !!!

Mr. Saari seems unaware of such possible strategy games resulting from his
new modified Borda version (aka Borda-Saari).

How many times do I have to beat the dead election horse ?

A "democratic" election method operates on ALL the votes cast- NOT added
votes, NOT removed votes, NOT some votes, NOT votes remaining after some
votes apparently cancel out some other votes.