Arrow/IA/IIAC

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Mar 11 02:00:41 PST 2000

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 DEMOREP1 at aol.com wrote:

> Which is the highest head to head majority (and thus the most likely correct)
> ? 65 BC (with C being the most likely clone)    Duh ?

A voting paradox will still exist in several cases in which, at least, the
addition of a close clone will punish its voters. This was the first
result I got when I started playing around about 6 months ago with "no
splitting" rules, and I'll try to remember a specific example.

Almost all voting paradoxes, including that at the centre of Arrow's
theorem, are generated by the absence in some cases of a Condorcet
winner. If we could exclude or ignore all cases in which this absence
occured, life would be hunky dory, but unfortunately this is not the case.