Approval Voting & FBC

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Sun Mar 5 07:34:32 PST 2000

At 00:07 06.03.00 , Craig Carey wrote:

Correction: the Approval Vote does not have this alteration
 in it: (AB)-(A+)

It has this alteration: (A+)-(AB+).

The last sentence in the following ("Perhaps ... with you.").
 Please give an example if you have one, e.g. using one of the
 methods STV or IFPP or FPTP or SNTV.

At 12:23 05.03.00 , MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

>>FBC is contrived valueless overly weak rule.
>
>Because Borda & the Alternative Vote don't meet it?
>It's hardly a "weak" criterion, since there's only one method
>that can meet it. Perhaps to you it's ok if voters have a strategic
>need to vote a lower choice over their favorite, but few would
>agree with you.

>>:> >The words "over his favorite" doesn't mean that the Approval
>>:> > sub-votes
>
>The words "over his favorite" say nothing about Approval sub-votes,
>what ever they might be.

Can you write the idea "over" in a mathematical form?. Despite the
 use of words, I can't understand the definition of FBC (because of
 lots of problems with the wording: "over" [undefined, a  preference
 nearer the 1st?], less-liked candidate [refers to a preference
 list?], likes better [no voter is around to comment so a preference
 list (perhaps) describes 'likes'], any [can mean either all, or
 some], favorite [must be a 1st preference or else described in
 attached notes or etc.]).

If "over" means insert in the preference list before (i.e. nearer the
 1st  preference), then is "better" (which is undefined) based on the
 preference list before or after the "voting" ? (i.e. the inserting of
 the preference, if any. If a text on any attached statement writen by
 the voter is followed, then it will 'before inserting' [or "over"-ing]).

FBC doesn't seem to be one of the greater rules (as defined).
I note it contains an idea of "favourite"?, e.g. A in (AB+) [which
 can be sometimes altered into (A+)]. If FBC can't detect a difference
 between the  1st and 2nd preferences, and swapping is allowed, then
 possibly (A+), with the favourite being A, would be liked ("likes
 better") just as much as (AB+).

I assume Mr Ossipoff wishes to end writing. The discussion must be
 about done.

( Testing  (A+)-(AB+) (A+)-(AB+) (A+)-(AB+) (A+)-(AB+) (A+)-(AB+) )