Approval Voting fish (3), selected replies

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Mar 4 16:17:59 PST 2000

[Craig Carey:]
> >Please define all concepts around this utility value and functions.
> >It was an expectation.

[MIKE OSSIPOFF:]
> I defined utility by saying that it's a numerical measure of the
> desirability of having a candidate win.

[Bart]
"A rating function u(x) is called a von Neumann-Morgenstern utility if
for any probabilities p and q (p+q=1) and two alternatives A and B, u(pA
+ qB) = pu(A) + qu(B).  This relation is expressed in words by saying
that the utility of a lottery between A and B with weights p and q is
the same as the weighted average of the utilities of A and B, again
using the weights p and q." -- Merrill(1988)

[CC]
> >I have a method and it is based on 3 axioms that are known, The Approval
> >  Vote has axiom hasn't it?.
[MO]
> It has a rule, which you should now be familiar with. It meets
> some valuable criteria, one of which is my minimum requirement
> for an adequate method (WDSC).
[BI]
It meets monotonicity for one, which STV fails.  Nurmi lists a few that
all of the methods mentioned recently fail except Approval:  Heritage,
WARP, PI.

[MO]
> If anyone else is following this thread, will you let us know,
> and maybe comment on whether you want it posted to the list?

I doubt if anyone else is paying much attention either way.  I may
continue to comment very selectively, as above, but I don't plan to
spend much more time on this thread myself.  I have listed a couple of
sources that I consider to be good references, but don't intend to
reproduce them here.

Bart