Approval Voting fish (2)

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Fri Mar 3 02:35:41 PST 2000

At 16:30 03.03.00 , MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

>>Mr Ossipoff makes the remarkable error of saying "wrong", here:
That was a mistake to write that
>>--------------------------------
>> >
>> >Wrong. I'm glad you brought that up, because it's a good way
>>--------------------------------

So the "wrong" is itself "wrong". I should have foreseen that.

In the following I delete all comments by Mr Ossipoff that contain
 the word "compromise". It would be better to number preferences,
 especially once they are in an ordered list.

>When you said "preferences", I, perhaps mistakenly, assumed
>that you meant preferred candidates. If you meant pairwise
>preference votes, then I did make an error there--an error
>in interpreting your wording.

>>My main complaints about the Approval Voting are:
>>
>>* Subsequent preferences harm candidates supported by earlier
>>   preferences, and voters will know that, and then find the decision
>>   (a strategic voting decision) on deciding how many Approval
>>   sub-votes to use, difficult. With FPTP and STV there is no similar
>>   strategic voting problem.

Here is text from an earlier message that got deleted and was absent
 from Mr Ossipoff's first reply. It is my second example of later
 preferences harming canidates supported by earlier preferences. In
 the 2nd, the number of candidates equals the number of preferences,
 and while people would say a voter should not do that, it
 nevertheless suffices to allow the proof to be made.