[EM] Fw: IBCM, Tideman, Schulze

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 7 08:23:28 PDT 2000

Dear Steve,

you wrote (2 June 2000):
> Norman wrote (27 May 2000):
> > That said, I am not persuaded that this is a particularly important
> > consideration -- if we thought this was an important factor in
> > selecting a method, we would probably choose Smith//Copeland, since
> > its results are even superior to those of IBCM.  It is likely that
> > a method has to sacrifice some of the desireable properties of
> > Schulze's method in order to do better here. Smith//Copeland, for
> > example almost certainly violates clone criteria, whereas Schulze's
> > method is the only method (that I'm aware of) that has been proven
> > to satisfy one strong formulation of Clone Independence criteria.
> > Tideman satisfies a weaker definition of clone independence, SD
> > is 'mostly' clone independent, but fails in rare cases; IBCM and
> > Tideman both violate Beatpath GMC, etc.
>
> I'm not aware that IBCM or Tideman fail to satisfy the stronger
> form of clone independence.  I do recall that a couple of years
> ago there was a discussion in EM about Tideman, which didn't use
> the RandomVoterHierarchy tie-breaker discussed later for
> Schulze's method.  Also, that discussion may have been about
> Tideman's 1987 version, not the better version defined in Zavist
> & Tideman's paper, "Complete Independence of Clones in the
> Ranked Pairs Rule." (Social Choice and Welfare, 1989).  If
> RandomVoterHierarchy is the tie-breaker, aren't IBCM and MTM
> completely independent from clones, in whatever "strong"
> formulation Norm referred to?

Unfortunately, the definitions in your 26 Feb 2000 mail were very
vague. Therefore it was not possible to check whether the claimed
criteria were really met by the mentioned methods.

The definitions in your 3 June 2000 mail are still very vague. But
they are precise enough to demontrate that the Tideman method and
the MTM method violate the strong definition of Clone Independence
criteria.

You wrote (3 June 2000):
> Tideman's minileximax used margins, whereas MTM's minileximax
> uses majorities.
>
>    "Thwarted majorities":  If more voters ranked x over y than
>    vice versa, but the social ranking does not rank x over y,
>    then the social ranking "thwarts" the majority who ranked
>    x over y.

Example:

   30 voters vote A > B > C.
   30 voters vote B > C > A.