[EM] Fw: IBCM, Tideman, Schulze

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 3 07:34:15 PDT 2000

Dear Steve,

you wrote (2 Jun 2000):
> Also, MTM has a brief description: "Elect the leader of the
> ranking which minimizes thwarted majorities."  That seems much
> simpler than any other excellent method's brief description
> because it doesn't refer to cycles or beatpaths.  It refers to
> more familiar terms.  The definition of "thwarted" majority is
> quite intuitive: If more voters ranked x over y than vice versa
> but x doesn't finish over y, we say that the majority who ranked
> x over y is thwarted.

> MTM is quite elegant and appears easiest to explain.

I want you to remember that also the Schulze method minimizes the
maximum thwarted majority. The maximum thwarted majority of the
Tideman ranking is always identical to the maximum thwarted
majority of the Schulze ranking (although I don't propose that
the Schulze method should be used to calculate a ranking).

If more than one majority has to be thwarted then "Elect the
leader of the ranking which minimizes thwarted majorities."
rather sounds like the Kemeny-Young method than like the
Tideman method.

If you really want to describe the Tideman method properly then
you have to use a significantly longer description.

******

You wrote (2 Jun 2000):
> Markus noted, shortly after, that I didn't specify who I had in
> mind (to suggest I was lying?).  Markus pointed out Blake and
> Mike as examples of people who understand Schulze's method,
> clearly missing the point that our concern is about members of
> the general public who don't study voting methods but would be
> asked to decide whether to change their voting method.

I want you to remember that you used the same phrase in your
26 Feb 2000 mail ("Neither did Markus identify the participants
in this maillist who believe that Schulze meets an important
criterion not met by Tideman."). Therefore there is no
justification for you to believe that I suggest that you
were lying (except for the case that you wanted to suggest
in your 26 Feb 2000 mail that I was lying).

By the way, when Schulze, path voting, SD and SSD are more
intuitive than IBCM and DCD for the members of this mailing
list then I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be true
for "members of the general public."

Markus Schulze
schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
schulze at math.tu-berlin.de