[EM] Markus doesn't listen well, & repeats same error

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 19 22:20:46 PDT 2000

>actually, you wrote in your 13 May 2000 mail
>(http://www.egroups.com/message/election-methods-list/5388):
> > Steve didn't say that Beatpath Winner chose a Pareto inferior
> > candidate or violated Pareto. He merely said that it chose
> > a candidate whom no voter preferred to the Tideman winner, and
> > which was pairwise-beaten by the Tideman winner.
> >
> > That doesn't require a Pareto violation. For instance, say
> > that a few voters rank the Tideman winner over Beatpath Winner's
> > winner, and that the rest of the voters are indifferent between
> > those two. The situation that Steve described exists, without
> > a violation of Pareto.
> >
>In short: You wrote that Steve wrote that the Schulze method
>"chose a candidate whom no voter preferred to the Tideman winner,
>and which was pairwise-beaten by the Tideman winner." And you
>wrote that "the situation that Steve described exists."

You still don't get it, Markus; you're still missing it. In
my previous letter, about an hour ago, I carefully explained
to you that I _did not_ make that statement. The sentence that
says that follows a conditional qualifier:

"For instance, say that a few voters rank the Tideman winner over
BeatpathWinner's winner, and that the rest of the voters are
indifferent between those two. The situation that Steve described
exists, without a violation of Pareto."

You insist on using that last sentence by itself, as if it
were, by itself, a statement or a declaration. Wrong. It follows
a conditional qualifier. So I was saying that _if_ that
condition were so, then the situation that Steve described exists.
That isn't a matter of interpretation. It's obvious.

I didn't say that the qualifying condition can be true--in
fact I said several times that day that I didn't know if it could.
I certainly didn't say that my Tideman bad-example is possible.
I just finished explaining that to you an hour ago, but it
apparently didn't sink in. Are you out to lunch?

Mike Ossipoff