[EM] Fw: IBCM, Tideman, Schulze

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 22 11:29:55 PDT 2000

Dear Mike,

you wrote (4 June 2000):
> But Schulze's method does have one thing that counts in its favor:
>
> In public elections it chooses the same winner as SD & SSD, which
> , when they undefeat a candidate, are undefeating the candidate
> who can be elected while overruling as few opposing votes as
> possible, consistent with BC compliance. But Schulze's method,
> as I was saying before, doesn't have the obvious & natural
> motivation & justification that SD, SSD, & Tideman have--something
> that's important for a public proposal.
>
> Besides, if the standard of overruling as few voters as possible
> were more important than all other criteria & standards, then
> we'd be advocating PC. And the people's expressed choice between
> the Tideman winner & the Schulze winner may be more compelling
> than a general reckoning of which winner has more voters
> voting against him--for the purposes of choosing between Tideman
> & Schulze.

It seems to me that you consider iterative methods to be more
intuitive than non-iterative methods.

Actually the Schulze method can also be explained as an iterative
method:

Step 1: If there are still pairwise comparisons that haven't
  yet been dropped between candidates that haven't yet been
  eliminated then drop the weakest pairwise comparison between
  candidates that haven't yet been eliminated. If there is more
  than one weakest comparison then all the weakest comparisons
  are eliminated simultaneously. Eliminate all those candidates A
  for which there is a candidate B such that there is a path of
  non-dropped pairwise comparisons from candidate B to candidate A
  but no path of non-dropped pairwise comparisons from candidate B
  to candidate A.

Step 2: Repeat Step 1 until there are no pairwise comparisons
  that haven't yet been dropped between candidates that haven't
  yet been eliminated.

The difference between Schulze and SSD is: SSD cnsiders only
those pairwise comparisons that are pairwise wins while Schulze
considers all pairwise comparisons.

Example: