[EM] Problems with finding the probable best governor

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Jul 21 01:43:12 PDT 2000

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> I don't think there's need for concern about SU vs CW. It seems
> to me that our partisan political elections are close to being
> 1-dimensional, though not entirely. Under those
> conditions there's always a sincere CW, who will also be the
> SU maximizer, if the voters' distribution density increases with
> decreasing distance from the voter-median position. Maybe that
> relation between sincere CW & SU maximizer extends to more
> dimensions, to some degree. Besides, my interest in electing
> the sincere CW is based on my concerns about defensive strategy
> need, and the methods that do well by criteria that measure
> that standard tend to do well by SU anyway.

Was Ross Perot the likely Condorcet winner in 1992, or at least close to
it?  It seems to me that he did a good job of positioning himself in
between the two major candidates, at least on a Left-Right scale.
Remember he was running over 30% in the polls before dropping out &
re-entering, and actually received 19% in November.

If so that might have been an example of a low-SU CW.