[EM] Monotonicity, but Participation too

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Sun Jul 16 15:07:34 PDT 2000

Dear Blake,

you wrote (15 July 2000):
> Would you say that it is possible for one method to provide on
> average better government or decisions than another?  If not,
> what do you see as the purpose of electoral reform?

To my opinion, in so far as it is not possible to measure the
quality of the government or the decisions in an objective manner,
it is not feasible to say that the one election method is more
often "correct" than the other method. The purpose of electoral
reform is to let the people decide what a "correct" decision is.

In other words: A less manipulable election method is better
because it is less manipulable (so that it gives the power to the
electorate and not to the manipulators) and not because it is more
often "correct."

Markus Schulze
schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
schulze at math.tu-berlin.de