[EM] Converting super-majorities to margins

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 10 23:38:08 PST 2000

I think a generally useful definition of "super-majority" in
multi-candidate race is the pairwise winner with approval of the required
super-majority.  Approval on a ranked ballot could be expressed as a line,
all above which are considered approved, and all below which are not
(methods for doing this were discussed very early on on this, circa 96q1
or so).

So, for instance, for a two-thirds super-majority, the candiate would have
to achieve both of the following:
*  Simple majority pairwise victories over all opponents
*  Approval of two-thirds of voters.

Of course, super majorities could only be required in cases where the
status quo is an acceptable outcome, since that's what will result short
of anyone acheiving a super-majority.

Rob

Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com