[EM] Ratings as a standard

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Jan 24 11:49:08 PST 2000

Nearly a year ago, Blake objected to my use of average ratings as a
standard for comparing methods, partly on the grounds that average (or
total) ratings would give more weight to extremist voters.

The discussion assumed we were using sincere ratings in hypothetical
examples only, and that the ratings were on an absolute scale.  There
was no suggestion that the ratings standard itself be used as a voting
method.

At the time I had suggested some ideas for ratings-based standards where
the effect of extreme votes could be limited.  It now occurs to me that
this is entirely unnecessary, and that extremist voting is not a
problem.

All you need to do is stipulate that comparisons using average ratings
(i.e. social utilities) are valid so long as the actual methods you are
comparing don't give undue influence to extremist voters.  You simply
compare the methods with the understanding that no method would or
should yield the highest possible rating in all situations.

Bart