[EM] Dollar example

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Wed Feb 23 13:32:30 PST 2000

I was using the term 'social utility' in the way that Merrill (1988)
appeared to be using it, so it may be incorrect from an economist's
perspective (unless the B supporters happen to be living in an area
where dollars must be exchanged at a heavy discount before they can be
spent) :-)

I don't disagree materially with the rest of Steve's comments (including
the foreign trade comment), except to point out that the candidate
vacuum argument he uses applies equally well to anti-ratings examples of
the kind:

60  A(10)  B(0)
40  B(100) A(0)

As an aside, Steve appears to be calculating von Neumann-Morgenstern
utilities the way I would, except that D should probably be given a
slightly higher utility to account for the fact that it's a sure thing
-- maybe 0.6 if most voters would consider D equivalent to an AC lottery
with a 60% chance of winning.  I probably should have adjusted the 0.1
utilities as well, but the difference wouldn't have mattered much.

As for the rarity of my scenarios, maybe so, but I don't think this
means that the incentive for strategic voting is necessarily rare.  It
may be that in many/most elections, a substantial number of voters will
have incentive to strategize.

Bart