the anti-middle strategy examples with Condorcet

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Wed Feb 23 01:19:35 PST 2000

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> The 2 examples that you posted could conceivably happen, but
> they wouldn't bother me if they happened, because someone gets
> an outcome that he likes less than the middle compromise, after
> he refuses to support the middle compromise, then that voter has
> no one to blame but himself.

The first example doesn't bother me either, since it seems to do
something perfectly rational.  I don't know that it would be overly rare
though -- it looks like it would still be a reasonable strategy even if
all three groups were in a dead heat, or if the groups were of unequal
size, so long as a group's utility for B is low enough, and its favorite
has some chance of winning:

       Est.
       Probability
Est.   of Winning
Vote   A/C Lottery    Candidate(utility)
--------------------------------------
25%    .11      A(1.0)   B(0.1)   C(0)
23%     -       B(1.0)          A,C(0)
52%    .89      C(1.0)   B(0.1)   A(0)

Note that the vote percentages are only estimated, as they would be
before an actual election.  Group #3 needs to consider the possibility
that it really has less than 50% of the vote.

Here group #1 has a slim chance of winning, so it is still (slightly)
better off truncating.  Group #3, on the other hand, could be throwing
away an almost certain win by ranking B, in the event that it has less
than 50% of real votes.

Again, I have no problem with this result; my only concern here is that
the group which is supposed to truncate might be too naive to do so.

My second example was based on the notion that voter utilities for the
second choice candidate would be more or less evenly distributed.  In
other words, instead of:
04      A(1.0)   B(0.1)   C(0)
45      A(1.0)   B(0.9)   C(0)
you could use:
04      A(1.0)   B(<0.1)   C(0)
45      A(1.0)   B(>0.1)   C(0)

It seems to me that there would almost always be some minority sub-group
within each major group with identical _rankings_ who would prefer to
truncate, or possibly even order-reverse.  True, it's possible for the
mainstream groups to defend against order reversal, but the strategy (&
the need for such strategy) might not be obvious to most voters.  It
might actually be easier for voters who are confident of the best
approval strategy (& who have a high enough opinion of the sincere CW)
to vote as they would in approval, as a sort of routine safety measure.

I think if IRV were enacted, I would do something similar.  You can't
rank multiple candidates 1st, but you can refuse to bad candidates,
thereby possibly forcing someone else to support one of your favorites.

Bart