[EM] Instant Runoff/Approval

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 22 02:00:45 PST 2000

Bart wrote:

>Is this the functional equivalent of approval with a runoff?  If so it
>probably has a vulnerability to pushover strategy.  In other words,
>opposing major parties could rank each other second, thereby eliminating
>any third-party opposition, and then go head-to-head in the runoff
>phase.

Yes, I'm not saying that it's as good as pure Approval. But it's
better than IRV. It meets WDSC, and it doesn't have IRV's irrational
& capricious jumps from the middle based on 1st place support.

Further, each of its counts is "summable", as the term is defined
at the electionmethods website. The central count station can get
its final answer merely by summing the results from the precincts.
That can't be said for IRV, and that is an IRV problem that invites
fraud & falsification and all sorts of problems in its humungour
systemwide calculation, with every ranking having to be kept in
storage and repeatedly processed during the count calculation.

So the proposal is a big improvement over IRV, and I encourage
Craig L. to propose it as a replacement for IRV.

Mike Ossipoff