[EM] Condorcet Criterion for plurality.

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Tue Dec 12 22:18:31 PST 2000

Okay Mike.  Here's my definition of CC.  It's kinda similar to yours, so
we're on the same wavelength, except I prefer my definition of sincerity.

Condorcet's Criterion

If, given a particular set of sincere preferences, there is a sincere
Condorcet Winner, then there must be a possible scenario in which every
voter votes sincerely, and the Condorcet Winner wins.

A voter votes sincerely if:

1) that voter does not vote a candidate X, above another candidate Y, where
the voter sincerely prefers Y to X; AND
2) where the voter is permitted to express "voted ties" by the system - the
voter does not vote a candidate X above another candidate Y, when the voter
does not have a sincere preference between the candidates.

A voted tie is where the voter can mark more than one candidate in order to
indicate that he or she considers them equal.

END OF DEFINITION

I might point out that I never had a problem with your definition, rather an
issue of some points you made in your criticism of Markus' approach.