[EM] Australia: MP says donation row highlights voting problems

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Dec 2 22:57:11 PST 2000

Ugh is the word. Some people just don't realise that you get deals no
matter what election method you're using - Deals to stay out in FPP,
How-to-vote exchanges (which is what the issue is - the Labor [I'm also a
member of that party] MHR for Lilley, which is an adjacent division to the
one I'm in, donated an unaccounted amount to the local Democrats. This is
fairly common when, for instance, it would be improper for you to print
their new how-to-vote cards but they don't have the resources),
how-to-vote agreements in approval and cumulative voting. What's of more
concern are the events being investigated that brought the spotlight to
this- people in my party in my state (but not my faction, baby!) have been
playing silly buggers with federal/state/party electoral rolls (party
ballots are run on consolidated federal/state rolls) to win party
preselections.