[EM] Representational government

Andy Brown sjbrown at toybox.geeky.net
Fri Dec 1 11:52:46 PST 2000

(Slightly Off-topic)

We here in Canada have just had a federal election.  The way it works in
canada is as follows: each "Riding" (geographically bounded area with a
certain population) elects an Member of Parliament (equivalent to member
of the HoR) The political party with the most MPs in parliament gets to
have it's Leader be the Prime Minister.  (No electoral college or any such
nonsense ;)

I voted for a person who did not win.  So now my MP, whose job it is to
represent my riding, is someone I do not approve of.  This got me
thinking... wouldn't it be nice if, during a vote in parliament, each MPs
vote counted only as much as the number of people who voted for him -- ie,
the number of people whom he actually represents?

So for example, if there is a vote in parliament on the Widget Tax, One MP
votes yea, and that is given a score of 20,000, and anoter MP votes nay
and that is given a score of, say 15,000.

Has anyone ever heard of a system where each MP has a different
weight?  I'd really like to do further research on this topic, look at
some of the problems such as regional representation, and such.

andy