[EM] SD only as a replacement for IRV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 2 22:58:12 PST 2000

I forgot to add: I only offer SD as a replacement for IRV. Only
if it's either SD or IRV. That's because SD, like IRV, is nonmonotonic,
meaning that you can make someone win by lowering him in your ranking,
where he'd otherwise have won.

I mentioned SD because it completely dominates IRV, and so it's
the better of those 2 (IRV & SD) when only those 2 are being considered.

Otherwise, Approval & PC are my suggestions for better voting systems
that are easy to define and explain.

Incidentally, though PC uses rank balloting, as does IRV--PC, like
all Condorcet versions, is incomparably easier to implement than IRV.
IRV requires far much more computation time and computer memory
use, compared to PC (or any Condorcet version) or Approval. That's
because, unlike those methods, IRV has to keep all the rankings in
memory and process them all in one big long operation. The current
problem in Florida underscores how IRV's much greater computational
task will be a security & verification nightmare.

Mike Ossipoff