[EM] New voting system website. Comments sought.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 19:13:40 PDT 2000

Thanks to Markus & Blake for their suggestions about how many
rank-count methods to propose. It sounds as if we should pick
just one to mention. Then the question is which one. The main
consideration that tends to sway me one way or the other between
Tideman & SSD is the fact that Tideman seems easier to demonstrate
with an example, because the reader isn't asked to find the
Schwartz set.

>Also, I have noticed a high correlation between the
>methods people favour and the methods they themselves have invented.

I believe that Steve said that you invented SSD,
some years ago, by a different name. Steve & I devised it
more recently without knowledge about an earlier invention of
it. But note that I favor Tideman over SSD. I believe that it's
likely that a person invents something because he likes it, and
that's why he then favors it. Similarly, we propose a method because
it meets criteria that are important to us, rather than choosing
criteria that favor a method that we've chosen in some other way.
That's true even when we add new criteria after we've already been
proposing a method. I've long been concerned about the lesser-of-2-
evils problem, for instance.

Mike Ossipoff