[EM] Schwartz//Tideman for meetings & small committees

Norman Petry npetry at accesscomm.ca
Thu Aug 3 08:45:32 PDT 2000

Mike wrote:

>Norm is the only one who has posted an SD nonmonotonicity
>example, with no pair-ties or equal defeats, which specifies all
>of the defeats. But Norm, did you actually run that example with
>your SD count program? Because it seemed to me that Blake's
>posting about his example contained a count error.

Yes, I did test that example both by hand and by running it through my
simulation program, and unfortunately, the result was that SD does violate
monotonicity.  I believe that Markus subsequently provided a 7-candidate
example which showed the same thing (his example also didn't have pair-ties
or equal defeats).

N.