[EM] SARC definition improvement

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:46:59 PDT 2000

EM list--

I defined the criterion SARC here some time ago, but I've more
recently been using a slightly different definition. The difference
is minor, but the previous definition allowed some methods to be
outside of SARC's application. The new definition applies to all methods.

Improved SARC definition:

If a group of voters share the same preferences, and they vote in the
same way, and they vote in a way that isn't dominated by any other way
of voting, then the fact that they showed up & voted in that way should
never cause their favorite to lose, or cause their last choice to win,
if that wouldn't have happened had they not showed up & voted.

For some particular voter, a way of voting (V1) dominates another way
of voting (V2) if there's some configuration of the other people's votes
for which that voter prefers the result when he votes V1 to the result
when he votes V2, but there's no configuration of the other people's
votes for which he prefers the result when he votes V2 to the result
when he votes V1.

***

Again, Approval is the only voting system that passes SARC.

***

Mike Ossipoff