[EM] Fw: Invitation to join politicians-and-polytopes

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Apr 10 19:34:15 PDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Norman Petry wrote:

> You however, have decided that the correct method must fail the Condorcet
> criterion.  It's an interesting choice, but not one I agree with. I'm
> curious whether or not David Catchpole, who also seems to have a strong
> interest in both STV and mathematical analysis, will be assisting you in
> developing a single-winner method with this constraint.  A while ago, David
> showed that when there is a Condorcet Winner, it is possible for the method
> to satisfy IIA without contradiction.  At the time, he regarded IIA as being
> highly desireable, which would suggest that the Condorcet Winner criterion
> might also be important to him.  Comments, David?

I have no real interest in developing single-winner methods beyond
demonstrating that single-winner methods all generate significant
paradoxes that are emeliorated by the addition of more winners.

I don't really bang away for the Condorcet Winner criterion in its
single-winner form (though it becomes more appealing in its
multi-member analogues). It is subverted by the realities of the two-party
system and real applications of single-winner election systems in ward
systems. My fave single-winner method, I guess, is "FTC," which works by
going through three-way contests of candidates (just as Condorcet methods
go through two-way contests), choosing a winner for each three-way
contest by STV. If a candidate wins all three-way contests in which she is
considered, she wins. If no-one wins like this, then a completion method,
for instance removal of the candidate with the lowest number of highest
rankings on votes, would be used to continue on.

Politeness be sugared, politeness be hanged,
Politeness be jumbled and tumbled and banged.
It's simply a matter of putting on pace,
Politeness has nothing to do with the case.
						Norman Lindsay
						"The Magic Pudding"

Is anyone with me in thinking Craig is a pathological maniac? I wonder
what his co-workers and/or family think...