[EM] Re: Proportional preferential voting

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 16:12:30 PDT 1999

Mr. Schulze's example --

could you -please- explain your method using the
following example with 100 voters and 4 candidates
running for 3 seats?

30 voters vote A > B > C > D.
26 voters vote B > D > A > C.
24 voters vote C > B > A > D.
20 voters vote D > B > A > C.

produces the below head to head matrix --

      A    B    C     D
A    --   30   76    54    160
B    70   --   76    80    226
C    24   24   --    54    102
D    46   20   46    --    112

                           600

I have suggested that a choice with the highest number of votes against is
the closest clone of the choice which defeats it (in a circular tie case).

Thus, D is the closest clone of B and should lose.

I also note that D has a majority of the voters putting it in last place.