[EM] Voting paradoxes article

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 15 22:23:54 PDT 1999

Much of Saari's work regards positional voting schema, of which
(obviously) Borda is the best. He uses weird logic to say Borda is better
than Condorcet in his articles by saying something like "the absence of a
Condorcet answer corresponds with voting paradoxes, and Borda gives
solutions in these cases, so obviously Borda is better." I don't think
he's done much work on approval (not sure though...). I'd prefer to think
that as time progresses we get back to the generalities of Sen, Arrow,
Gibbard and Satterthwaite, because it is so apparent that ignoring some
electoral systems allows us to become biased, as Saari does and as
approval-voterers do, and as Condorcetists do, etc. etc.

Personal whinge- multiple-"seat" elections barely get a look in, which is
a shame because some interesting parallels with Condorcet arise which one
day I will actually do work on (hopefully).