[EM] Cumulative Voting w/ elimination

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Sep 2 17:01:06 PDT 1999

Thanks again for your reply, Tom

I didn't mean to imply that Peoria used elimination -- I should have
said elimination could be used in conjunction with the Peoria method.

For single seat elections, I would rather use Approval (in fact your
additional rule would turn it into Approval), but showing how [CVE?
CAEV?] worked in the single-seat case (without your rule) might help to
validate the method.

Your concern about voters voting for less than a full ticket might be
partially offset by the fact that a party could run an excess of
candidates without penalty, in contrast to plain CV.

Proportionality is not as precise as with a quota-based method, but CVE
is much simpler, and could be shown to elect more popular candidates in
some situations (especially in smaller elections).  Maybe there should
be a trade-off between utility and proportionality anyway.

I doubt that there is much justification for ranked voting in the U.S.,
even with Proportional Representation.  If implemented here at all, P.R.
would likely take the form of 2- and 3-seat legislative districts, or 5-
to 7- member city councils.  Large Australian-style STV elections are
not even a remote possibility here, in my view.

Re pronunciation:  same as "Engels" (although I probably wouldn't
hesitate to adopt the Spanish pronunciation if confronted with a
situation involving Affirmative Action).

Regards,
El Bart