Gerrymandering Hare

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 20:57:29 PST 1999

Mr. Blake Cretney wrote-

Party Votes  Vote%

A     480    48%

B     520    52%

All voters will make full rankings, so there will be no exhausted

ballots.

Single District (Using STV-Hare)

District 1  220 A votes, 280 B votes [elect 10]

37  A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

37  A2 A1 A3 A4 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

37  A3 A1 A2 A4 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

37  A4 A1 A2 A3 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

36  A5 A1 A2 A3 A4 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

36  A6 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

280 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6

Result is

A 5

B 5

District 2  260 A votes, 240 B votes [elect 10]

44  A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

44  A2 A1 A3 A4 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

43  A3 A1 A2 A4 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

43  A4 A1 A2 A3 A5 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

43  A5 A1 A2 A3 A4 A6 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

43  A6 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6

240 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6

Result is

A 6

B 4

So, A wins 11 to 9.

Party  Vote%  Representation%

A      48%    55%

B      52%    45%
-----
D- A few days ago, Mr. Davison and I noted that Droop easily fails with
districts (i.e. an overall minority of the voters may elect a majority of the
members of a legislative body).

Now Mr. Cretney has made the very important observation that Hare also can
fail with districts.   It would seem that overall results must be used (if
each legislator is to have one vote in the legislative body).  Thus-

480 A x 20/1000 = 9.6 A seats
520 B x 20/1000 = 10.4 B seats

However, even the method of equal proportions (MEP) would give both A and B
10 seats each.  Adding more party candidates having votes near the Hare quota
(overall or in each district) would probably produce even stranger minority
rule results.

I again note that the above type of problems result because party votes/party
seats overall or in any district will almost never be equal in a real
election (or even in manufactured elections).

I again note that with proxy p.r. the party A legislators (9, 10, 11 or
whatever) should/ would have a combined voting power of 480 and that the
party B legislators (11, 10, 9 or whatever) should/ would have a combined
voting power of 520 in the legislative body.