[EM] Droop as a Religious Belief

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Fri Nov 19 01:37:18 PST 1999

Greetings,                              11/19/99

     During any `Droop War' I have always tried to present my side of the
issue based on logic, fainess, honesty, and that which is mathematically
correct.
     Proportional is mathematically correct when the members are elected by
equal parts of the total votes. If we have 12,000 votes in a three member
district, and the three members are elected by 4,000 votes each, then that
is proportional because three sets of 4,000 is equal to 12,000.
     But, for this same district, the Droop quota is 3,001 votes. It is
clear that three sets of 3,001 does not equal 12,000. Therefore, Droop does
not contain mathematically correct proportions. And yet, it puzzles me when
the Droop People keep saying: `Droop is Proportional'.
     They keep repeating over and over the expression `Droop is
Proportional' - `Droop is Proportional', like a religious chant.
     That must be it!
     It is a religious chant. They have been debating on a different level,
they are on a religious level.
     To them, Droop is a Religious Belief. Something they are required to
believe without question.

     And now this David Catchpole comes along and confirms that Droop's
proportionality is based on religious belief.