[EM] A 48% Group elects 60% of the Droop Members

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Sun Nov 14 12:42:48 PST 1999

Greetings,

 The following is an example of a 48% group electing a majority of the
Droop members.

 * 100 members are to be elected in 25 districts - 4 member districts.

 * 1000 voters per district - 25,000 total votes in election.

 * Droop Quota is 200 (1000/5)

 * The 48% group has 12,000 total votes - distributed as follows:

     The group has 600 votes in each of 10 districts.
         In which they are able to elect 3 members per district.

     And 400 votes in each of 15 districts.
         In which they are able to elect 2 members per district.

 * Total members elected by the 48% group is as follows:

        10 districts electing 3 members each equals 30 members elected.
        15 districts electing 2 members each equals 30 members elected.
                                                  -----
  Total number of members elected by the 48% group: 60
        (60 of 100 is 60%)

     It is possible for a 48% group to elect 60% of the members.
     In a real election the numbers will not fall this even and the 48%
group most likely will elect less, like 54% of the members, but still a
majority.

     Had the count of this election used the Hare Quota, and the 48% group
attempted to lower their votes on their candidates in order to elect more
members than their just representation, we could expect that the number of
members now elected by the 48% group would be less than using the Droop. I
say less because the group will not be able to lower votes with
mathematical precision. But, when the Droop Quota is imposed on the STV
election method, by agreement of the Droop supporters, then the cheating
can be preformed with mathematical precision, also by agreement of the
Droop supporters.
     No matter which quota an election uses, for every member the 48% group
elects over 48 members, some other group will lose a member.

     I claim that the real reason the Droop Quota has been made part of STV
is so that the largest faction can elect a majority, even if that faction
has less than a majority of the popular vote.
     The Droop is corruption - corruption by agreement.

Note: I must point out that the main reason the 48% is able to elect 60% of
the members in this example is because of the small districts. Had this
election been held in One-Area of 100 seats, the 48% group would only been
able to elect 48 members - using Hare or Droop, but the Droop makes it
easier for the largest group to elect more members in small districts.

Regards,
Donald

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald