[EM] Replace Bucklin with Run-Off Without Elimination

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Fri May 28 05:42:31 PDT 1999

Greetings,

Ron Tannenwald wrote: "...eventually, though, something has to be done to
prevent a reoccurence of strategic truncation."  Cordially,   Ronald
Tannenwald

Dear Ronald Tannenwald,

     You should consider Run-Off Without Elimination(RWE). It is like
Bucklin in that next choices are added to the first choices one step at a
time. It is different in that the next choices of only the lowest candidate
are added at each step of the method.
    The lower choices of the other candidates do not help defeat the first
choice candidates during the step.
    This may be enough to encourage the voters to make lower choices.
    Text of RWE is below in the event you were not on the list when it was
discussed.

Regards,
Donald
<B>A Single Seat Run-Off Method without Elimination</B><P>

     After the first count of the ballots, we select the lowest candidate.
We do not eliminate this candidate, but we do transfer his votes to the
next choices. Any votes that do not have a next choice are to stay with the
candidate - these votes are not to be exhausted.<BR>
     For every vote that was transferred we create a replacement vote that
will also stay with this lowest candidate. These replacement votes do not
have any lower choices, therefore they can never be transferred.<BR>
     This lowest candidate has had all his votes transferred that can be
transferred, but he still has the same vote count to his name. The point of
giving him these replacement votes is to keep him as a contender. If enough
votes are later transferred to him, he may rival other candidates for the
lead.<P>

     Next step is to select the candidate that now has the lowest total
votes, but also has some votes that can be transferred. Any candidate that
has no transferrable votes is to be passed over and we are to select the
next lowest candidate, provided he has some transferrable votes.<BR>
     We deal with the votes of this candidate the same as we dealt with the
votes of the lowest candidate before. We transfer the votes that can be
transferred and then we replace those votes with non-transferrable votes.
     It is possible in this method for a candidate to be selected more than
once to have votes transferred.<BR>
     This routine continues until either all possible transfers have been
done, or a candidate has a vote total over half the number of voters,
whichever happens first. At that time, the winner is the candidate with the
most votes.<P>

<B>Now for an example.</B><P>

     In every three candidate election, this new method will give the exact
same results as regular Choice Run-Off. And, I suspect that in most
elections of four or more candidates, this new method will also give the
same results as Choice Run-Off, but it is possible, in some of these four
or more candidate elections, for the lowest candidate to be moved up in
votes and rival the leading candidate. That will be what this example is
going to show.
<PRE>
         Example:     >>      40 ADB   18 BDC    17 CDB    16 DCB
                               9 ACB
1) Transfer 16 D votes                          +16 CB    -16 DCB
2) Replace  16 D votes                                    +16 D
                             ------    ------   -------   -------
                              49       18        33        16
3) Transfer 18 B votes                -18 BDC             +18 DC
4) Replace  18 B votes                +18 B
                             ------   -------   -------   -------
                              49       18 B      33        34
5) Transfer 33 C votes                +16 B     -33       +17 DB
6) Replace  33 C votes                          +33 C
                             ------   -------   -------   -------
                              49       34 B      33 C      51
</PRE>
     At this point, candidate D has a majority of the voters, therefore
candidate D is the winner.<BR>
     This example was concocted in the extreme to favor candidate D. In a
real election in the real world, this new method should ape Choice Run-Off
except for the few times in which we have a real extreme imbalance of lower
choices.<P>

     This method will keep all the candidates in contention until the
winner is revealed. All the candidates are considered. This method allows
votes to be transferred between the lower candidates in an effort to rival
the leading candidate. For one of them to become the leading candidate will
depend on how the votes were cast.<P>

     But, no candidate can say that he did not have an equal chance due to
the method.<BR>
     In this method, every transferred vote goes to the next choices of the
voters. None will pass over choices to go to some lower choice. The voter's
intent is honored.<BR>
     But, in this example candidate D, with only sixteen percent of the
first choice votes, was elected. Do you want the last place candidate to
win in any election that you are chosing your most preferred candidate? Do
you want to use a Compromise Method?<BR>
     You may like to know that Condercet would also elect candidate D in
this example. Choice Run-Off would elect candidate C.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 T H E   C O D E   O F   H O N O R   F O R   R E F O R M   A C T I V I S T S

     Any group of reform activists that are thinking about a petition drive
to place a proposal on the ballot are to present their proposal beforehand
to all other reform activists that they know of. The time for debate and
negative comments is before the petition stage. Once the group makes its
final proposal and enters the petition stage, the debates and negative
comments by all reform activists is to cease.
    At this time each activist is to make an honest evaluation. If the
initiative will improve government then each activist is to find it in his
heart to support the initiative, even if it is not exactly what the
activist would like.

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Account Number 13164-30-01
              Mail to:  (Polak Jiri,ded)
                        Ceska sporitelna, a.s.
                        Jugoslavska 19
                        Praha2,  Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald