Circular Stand-Off

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 19 06:43:56 PST 1999

Dear Steve,

suppose that JITW//Plurality is used.

   30 voters vote A > ...
   25 voters vote B > ...
   24 voters vote C > ...
   10 voters vote E > C > ...
   09 voters vote D > B > ...
   03 voters vote E > A > ...
   03 voters vote D > A > ...
   A, B, and C won't withdraw under
   any circumstances.
   Candidate D prefers B to C to E to A.
   Candidate E prefers C to B to D to A.

["..." means that it is irrelevant how these preferences
look like because -as candidate A, B, and C will never
withdraw- these preferences will never be counted if
JITW//Plurality is used.]

What will happen if JITW//Plurality is used?
If nobody withdraws candidate A is elected.
If candidate D withdraws candidate B is elected.
If candidate E withdraws candidate C is elected.
But if both candidates (D and E) withdraw then
candidate A is elected.

In other words: If JITW//Plurality is used then candidate
D will say: "I withdraw first." Candidate E will answer:
"No, I withdraw first." Candidate D will answer: "No!
I withdraw first." ......

In other words: Both candidates (D and E) are spoilers
against their will because both candidates would prefer
that they never ran for that office.

Markus Schulze