[EM] Israeli party-list primary elections

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 15 08:48:14 PST 1999

Dear Donald,

you wrote (15 Mar 1999):
> Markus Schulze wrote:
> "Dear Tom, to my opinion, the best way to guarantee that the nominations
> are more
> democratic is to make it as simple as possible to be elected without [a
> candidate]
> having to be nominated by his party."
>
> Dear Markus Schulze,
>
>     Yes, nominations should be as simple as possible, but they must also
> be equal as possible.
>
>     All candidates should pay the same fees and be required to collect the
> same number of signatures. When I say "All", I mean party candidates,
> independent candidates, and incumbents.
>
>     If I was an incumbent, I would like the perk of not collecting
> signatures again, but is it fair?  Why should I be allowed to avoid his
> hurdle while other candidates must collect their signatures.
>
>     I would also like to say that each candidate be required to personally
> collect at least one hundred of the signatures needed for his nomination.
>     This would force him to go one on one with members of his public. It
> might do some good.

I don't understand what you mean with "party candidates" and "independent
candidates" when we talk about how list positions should be filled. Do you
mean that everybody should have to pay a fee and to collect signatures before
he gets the right to run for a list position? How would this make the
nominations more democratic?

Markus Schulze