[EM] Persistent Majority (a new single-winner method)

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 17 17:01:21 PST 1999

Here's a simple method of electing single-seat offices:

Essentially, incumbents would continually be in danger of removal.
There wouldn't be an "election day": voters would be allowed to vote
whenever they want and change their votes whenever they want.
Whenever a challenger maintains a majority (pairwise) lead over the
incumbent for a significant period of time (about a month?) then the
challenger is elected and the incumbent is ousted.  Anytime the
incumbent retakes the lead over a challenger, the challenger's "lead
clock" is reset to zero.

People who haven't yet voted their preference for the incumbent would
not have to bother voting until a challenger gets close to holding a
majority lead for the required period of persistence.  Presumably the
news media would alert potential voters about incumbents in imminent
danger of being ousted.  It wouldn't take many responsible voters to
then defeat a fringe challenger (someone whom only a few voters
prefer more than the incumbent).

There'd be no limit on the number of challengers, and no need to
gather signatures to place a challenger on a ballot.  (The challenger
would gather votes, not signatures.)  Perhaps for simplicity's sake
the voters would only be allowed to express preferences regarding
pairings which include the incumbent, and not on pairings of two
challengers.

I'm not saying that I advocate the above method.  I just think that
it's simple and straightforward, and therefore worthy of being posted.
If it has enough merit, some missing details would have to be added:
how to fill an empty seat, and the question of whether there should
be a maximum term of office.