[EM] Reversal Software output 6/9/1999

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Thu Jun 10 12:04:35 PDT 1999

Steve Eppley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I added Blake Cretney's "Path Voting" method (which is a
> variation of Schulze's method) and Condorcet(Margins) into
> my Reversal software.

Thanks.

> "Cret" is Blake's Path Voting method.  When calculating the
> size of a pairwin, it uses the pairwise margin of victory.
> (Schulze uses the number of voters who ranked the pairwinner
> ahead of the pairloser.)  Blake made a philosophical argument
> for preferring pairwise margins of victory, but I don't find
> it more compelling than the philosophical argument for
> preferring pairwise support (or call it opposition, depending
> on which side you're on).  More important than philosophical
> criteria, in my opinion, are other criteria we usually use
> for comparing voting methods.
>
> "Marg" is the Condorcet(Margins) variation.  Hugh Tobin

Calling this method Condorcet seems to be an error started on this
list.  I'm going to refer to Minmax to refer to the same method since
this term is used in academic journals.  I use Minmax(Margins) to
refer to the Marginal variant.

> wrote (long ago) that he preferred it more than CondorcetVA,
> for the same philosophical reason that Blake prefers
> Path Voting to Schulze.

Dumais is equivalent to Minmax(Margins) and Path Voting for 3 or
fewer candidates.  The following is my proof.

If a candidate is the Condorcet winner for the ballots (as opposed to
sincere preferences) then this candidate will win in all 3 methods.
So, they behave identically when there is a CW.

When there is not, we have a cycle.  With no loss of generality
A>B>C>A, with C>A being the win of lowest margin.  A is therefore the
winner of Minmax(Margins).

I will define x to be the margin C>A, y A>C, z B>C.  Since C>A is the
lowest margin, x<y x<z.

If A>B is the highest margin, then y>x y>z z>x
The path B>C>A has strength x.  This is lower than A>B strength y.
The path C>A has strength x.  This is lower than A>B>C strength z.
So, A is the PV winner.

Counting the Dumais scores (margins of victory - margins of defeat)