[EM] Path Voting Algorithm

Paul Dumais paul at amc.ab.ca
Fri Jun 11 09:52:39 PDT 1999

Does anyone have a path voting algorith that they could post here? I'm
trying to code a MatLab program that runs path voting and Dumais voting
algorithms. I've just about got the Dumais algorithm figured out. It
seems that building a pair wise matrix is difficult. Dumais doesn't need
to build a pair wise matrix so, I've done it a different way.
	The difficulty in building a pair wise matrix is that even if you have
a vector (of size C! - almost 40 million with just C=11 candidates)
which represents the votes how do you code using loops etc so that you
can add the right elements that produce a particular pair wise entry? It
might be simpler to have an input matrix where the elements are the
margins or the borda scores. The columns could represent the candidates
while the rows would represent each vote. I'm doing it this way for
Dumais voting (but not creating a pair wise matrix). To get the
pair-wise matrix, we would iterate over the C(C-1)/2 possible pairs,
compare and sum. The matrix could then be used compute the (many?!)
paths to each opponent for each candidate. OK, I'm getting lost now. How
do you write an algorith that computes all possible paths? Path voting
seems really hard to code. I hope I'm wrong.
	I'll work on it this weekend. If anyone has done this work already,
please e-mail me on this list or at pdumais at powersurfr.com.

Thanks

--
Paul Dumais