[EM] Idiots and tyrants?

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 21:00:50 PDT 1999

Of course, that's why in several elections the Right has won on something
like 1/3 of the vote because the Left is split between Labour and the
Liberal Democrats! That's why it IS within the interests of Labour to
introduce a new system. The problem in any parliamentary system is to
balance the three ideas of representing the community at large and
locally, and reflecting the people's preferred choice of government.
Single member first-past-the-post (again, using my indigenous political
language) dismally fails on all of them. Which is, of course, why Julian
invented PR cubed.

I personally favour systems (for lower houses) which
are even more blatant- Have a system much like the Jenkins model
(Continental-style MMP using STV, only using an at-large STV election
like that for the Australian Senate to work out the make-up members, who
make up just less than of the house because of the nature of the quotas)
and an accompanying part of the ballot with the list of parties (and their
declared allies) asking "who do you wish to form the majority in the house
(along with their declared allies)?" The vote is counted by STV and the
party that will lead the government is selected. After being diminished by
the local election, the votes which contributed to the successful party's
win are distributed in make-up, ignoring all preferences excluding those
for the party and its allies, until the party and its allies make up more
than half of the house or run out of votes. From then, as normal.