[EM] U.K. Voting Systems, 3rd edition

Wiseman, Julian julian.wiseman at csfb.com
Mon Jul 5 02:14:45 PDT 1999

Just for the record, many people (myself included) do not believe that
single-member plurality is "ANTI-DEMOCRATIC", whether whispered or shouted.
Majoritarian systems prevent power being passed from the ballot box to the
negotiating table; and simple systems are widely understood and provide a
clear link from constituent to representative. Whilst I don't believe SMP is
optimal (my preference can be found via
http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/electsys.html), SMP is far from pessimal,
and has served two countries well for centuries. Gerrymandering can be
avoided by depoliticising boundary commissions (as in the UK); and elections
can be made fairer by capping campaign spending (perhaps a more complicated
constitutional change).

If the UK switches, it is for domestic political reasons entailing a split
in the Labour Party and an alliance of the right of that with the Liberal
Democrats. Any Prime Minister who spends the taxpayers' cash on supporting
his side of a referendum campaign (in a word, cheating) has motivations
other than democracy itself. (And as for his attempt to impose a Hindenburg
solution on Northern Ireland by allowing a private army to take power,
please don't ask how that is pro-democratic.)